I finally received Bill Swanson’s 25 Unwritten Rules of Management. It is a hilarious little grey book. My copy has already disappeared from my desk, but here is a Business 2.0 article about the little grey book. My favourite rules have to be:
- You can’t polish a sneaker.
- Learn to say "I don’t know." If used when appropriate, it will be used often.
- Look for what is missing. Many know how to improve what’s there; few can see what isn’t there.
- If you are not criticized, you may not be doing much.
- When facing issues or problems that are becoming drawn out, "short them to ground."
You can get your own copy mailed to you via the Raytheon website here.