Apparently you need to train to get to the finish line of a 50 mile race! Oh who would have known? Not met obviously as my training last week was beyond pathetic. Hitting the re-start button: I am just going to pretend that this week is the first training week. So how am I doing?
- 5 AM wake up time: check! But even I have to admit that waking up at such ungodly hour in the winter hurts.
- at my desk at 6 AM: check!
- breakfast of champions (oatmeal + fruit): check
- scheduled one hour training at the gym: check
- early bed time for early rise: well, we will see about that one.
The reality of distance training in the winter time is setting in. I mean who wants to be out there in these temperatures (-20C). I keep repeating “I love winter, I love winter” but it is not doing it. Can’t wait for the trail races to start. In the meantime I am going to need to find a 25 km or 50 km trail race somewhere. The goals for the next 30 days is to work on my schedule. Early wake time, early bed time, training daily 5 days a week. Needs to become a habit in 30 days. Will I succeed? hmmm…Time for some Haile inspiration!
Haile Gebrselassie used to run 10 km each way to go to school for 10 years. He is – hands down – the greatest runner the world has known.